Do you or your children suffer from eczema? Do they have any red, itchy, dry or weeping lesions that just won’t go away? Fortunately for you, Chinese Medicine has several options to help heal both the internal disharmony, and resulting eczema. Traditional Chinese Medicine offers topical ointments, customized internal herbal therapies, and Acupuncture/ Shonishin (non-invasive method) treatments that can help you and your children to naturally fight off this “skin allergy.” Western Medicine often prescribes corticosteroid creams, that may stop the itching temporarily, but will not ultimately heal the underlying problem, an imbalanced energetic body. The healing process would be accelerated with a few visits to your Chinese Medicine practitioner. In the meantime, here are a few home remedies and lifestyle recommendations for healing eczema on you or your child.
HOME SOLUTIONS FOR ECZEMA
1. CLEAR BLAND DIET:
– ELIMINATE wheat, corn, sugar, dairy, and soy from your child’s diet for at least 40
– Reduce, or eliminate completely foods that may cause phlegm and are difficult for your child’s underdeveloped digestive system. REDUCE/ ELIMINATE: Bananas, Orange Juice, Cow’s Milk, and Nut Butters.
– INTRODUCE a Clear Bland Diet: well-cooked complex carbohydrates, veggies, fruit, and a small amount of animal protein.
2. HERBAL TEA: BARLEY, MUNG BEANS, DANDELION, AND CORN SILK
– Simmer the ingredients together for 45 minutes, strain, and drink the remaining liquid.
– Consult your local herbalist to find out the correct dosage needed for you or your child, as dosage varies depending on weight and other constitutional factors.
3. EXTERNAL APPLICATIONS:
– BODY WASH made of equal portions salt and borax dissolved in warm water, applied 2-3 times per day.
– POULTICE of raw grated potato, held by gauze and changed every 3 hours.
** It’s important not to use any oil-based applications, as this may make the condition worse by pushing the pathogenic dampness further into the surrounding areas.
*This entry was written by Naomi Campbell L.Ac, one of the acupuncturists at Sesen Skin Body Wellness. If you have any questions about this blog or about acupuncture..please contact us at 720-443-2715.